Got a Virtual Career Fair on Your Calendar? Here’s How to Make the Most of It
By: American Nurses Association
Virtual Career Fairs, or VCFs, are definitely a thing today, with all kinds of advantages for employers, recruiters, and job candidates.
Also called online job fairs, these are online events where employers and job seekers meet in a virtual environment, using chat rooms, teleconferencing, webcasts, webinars, and email to exchange information about job openings. Candidates can upload resumes and be matched with employers or candidates and employers can browse each other, much like they do at a booth at a physical expo.
VCFs can be simple sites with lists of employers, or more elaborate events offering chat rooms and video presentations. You register, upload a resume, and usually fill out a questionnaire about yourself. Some VCFs list employers that match your skills. You can also browse the companies involved in the VCF.
Best of all, these events are free to job seekers. Convenient and easy to navigate, they offer you the chance to have multiple conversations with an employer, talking directly to the company – not just submitting a resume online and hoping for a call or email back.
Use VCFs. They let you “meet” a member of the recruiting team for an organization and make a good impression. You can turn a virtual chat into an email conversation or phone or Skype interview, too.
Prep Before Your Next VCF
- Review the list of companies attending the event.
- Research companies you’re interested in meeting and talking to.
- Have your resume and interview questions ready in advance.
- Make sure you’re registered for the event and have the registration email with link to attend.
During Your VCF
- Be in a quiet space with good Wi-Fi connections.
- Have a notebook ready to take notes.
- Ask questions at the end of your conversation.
- Ask company representative the best ways to follow up.
After Your VCF
- Send a thank-you note to companies within 24 hours.
- Debrief: What went well? What could you improve on for your next interview?
- Look for other VCFs – they should be a regular part of your job search.
Don’t miss out on ANA’s Virtual Career Fair. Mark your calendars and you could win prizes for attending.